When: November 8, 2014
Time: 8:30 A.M. to 2:00 P.M.
Where: Great Salt Lake Gun Club - Lee Kay Center
2100 S 6000 W
SLC UT 84120
What is a Turkey Shoot?
Each team will consist of five members. One member may be an adult leader. Each shooter will shoot at twenty-five clay pigeons. The shooter will fire one round at each target. Targets are provided; however, each participant must provide his own shells and gun.
Sharing of guns at the event slows down the process.
A limited number of firearms will be available on a first-come, first-served basis.
Teams may register over the phone, online (www.saltlakescouts.org) or in person at the Scout Office at 582-3663. Once your team is registered you will receive a shooting time and shooting station. On the day of the event we will hold your shooting time for ten minutes, if your group is not there we will give your time to another group. Those who register on site will be accommodated as space allows. Please arrive twenty minutes before your reserved time.
We suggest some teams practice before the Turkey Shoot. This will not only increase your chances of scoring well for prizes, but will also give you an opportunity to learn gun safety in a less crowded atmosphere. Gun range orientation will be mandatory before shooting. Bring eye and ear protection.
Do this prior to coming
- Register online or at Scout Office, (801) 582-3663
- Practice Shooting
What to bring to the event
- Shotgun for each shooter
- Shotgun shells for each shooter (25)
- Eye and ear protection for each shooter
- Registration Receipt
- Warm clothes and a snack
At the event
Range Rules & Etiquette
- Remember the three essential rules for safe gun handling
- Always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction
- Always keep you finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
- Always keep the gun unloaded until ready to shoot.
- Teams waiting their turn to shoot should keep their shotguns in the racks provided
- Be familiar with the operation of your shotgun before attempting to use it.
- No horseplay on or near the firing line.
- When it is your team's turn to shoot:
- Each member of the five-man team assumes one of the designated shooting marks on the firing line
- Shooters will shoot five pigeons, then rotate one spot to the right. (The person farthest right assumes the position at the left with each rotation). Shooters will shoot five pigeions from each of the five designated marks.
- The shooter farthest to the left is the first shooter, followed by the shooter immediately to his right and so on.
- Each shooter should make sure his shotgun is loaded and ready to fire before calling "PULL"
- Be sure to call "PULL" in a loud and distinct voice so the pigeon launcher can hear you.
- When you are finished, fill out the scorecard and return it to the registration table.
You will need Acrobat Reader or another .PDF file reader to view and print the above documents. Acrobat Reader is a free plug-in for your browser. Adobe makes this plug-in for multiple browser types and multiple operating system types.