Great Salt Lake Council Jewish Committee on Scouting
Dr. Arthur G. Lipman, Chairman firstname.lastname@example.org 801. 557.7650
Dr. James Schallheim email@example.com
Mr. Alex Shapiro firstname.lastname@example.org
Ms. Dondea Scherer-Lykes email@example.com
Mr. Steve Luna, BSA Advisor firstname.lastname@example.org
The mission of the Great Salt Lake Council Jewish Committee on Scouting is to support Scouting for Jewish youth through the mission of the Boy Scouts of America which is: To prepare young people to make ethical and moral choices over their lifetimes by instilling in them the values of the Scout Oath and Law, recognizing that these values are totally consistent with traditional Jewish values as expressed in Torah and Talmud.
The GSLC Jewish Committee on Scouting addresses its mission through the following activities:
· Establish Scouting units with Jewish organization chartered partners when feasible and supporting Jewish Scouts in other units.
· Help Jewish Scouts and all Scouts in Jewish organization sponsored units understand their Duty to God.
· Manage the Jewish religious emblems programs for Scouts and Awards program for adults.
· Conduct an annual GSLC Scout Shabbat service.
· Encourage participation by Jewish Scouts in Jewish community activities in collaboration with the United Jewish Federation of Utah including:
Yom HaShoah (Holocaust Memorial Observance), Yom Ha’atzmauat (Israel Independence Day).
· Collaborate with the Great Salt Lake Council and United Jewish Federation of Utah in supporting the Israel Scouts (Tzofim) Friendship Caravan Utah visits.
· The National Jewish Committee on Scouting Webpage: http:www.jewishscouting.org
· Maccabee emblem for Jewish Cub Scouts in grades 1-3, Aleph Emblem for Jewish Cub Scouts in grades 3-5
· Ner Tamid Emblem for Jewish Boy Scouts age 12-14, Etz Chaim Emblem for Jewish Boy Scouts and Venturers age 14-18
· Shofar award for adults who support Scouting for Jewish youth
Local Scout Leaders
Cubmaster, Pack 3351
Arthur G. Lipman
Scoutmaster, Troop 351
Great Salt Lake Council Vice President for Relationships
Member, National Jewish Committee on Scouting
Ben Kalm, Peter Brownstein
Assistant Scoutmasters, Troop 351
Troop 351 Committee Chair
Advisor, Venturing Crew 9351
United Jewish Federation of Utah
Alex Shapiro, Executive Director
Dr. Marty Gelman, President
James Schallheim, Chartered Organization Representative
Cub Scout Pack 3351, Boy Scout Troop 351, and Venturing Crew 9351
Sponsored by the United Jewish Federation of Utah and meet at the
McGillis School in Salt Lake City
Boy Scout Troop 1732
Sponsored by and meet at Temple Har Shalom in Park City